19.3.20

3/19/20 brief update for my colleagues

Things change quickly these days. Monday seems like weeks ago. I can't even imagine what each of you is going through right now - you, your families, your clients, your friends, your neighbors, your coworkers...

I'm dealing not only with the issues that coronavirus has created, but also with the closing of the hospital that owns the building in which I work. So I am trying to find a new place to practice, tend to my clients appropriately, identify and weigh risk factors, be a good steward of finances and time, and finally find time to go grocery shopping with the hopes of finding some food still on the shelves. I needed to go shopping a couple of weeks before coronavirus became an issue here and still haven't gone, so have been eating very little other than some pizza and Girl Scout cookies because my fridge looks like nobody lives here.

I made some changes this week in my practice. Every client gets a freshly laundered fleece table and face rest cover and blanket (along with, of course, freshly laundered sheets). I do my best to clean every surface I think may possibly be contaminated, especially the face rest and that end of the table itself. I wash my face, hands and forearms, and don a clean shirt. I nearly break my neck to avoid breathing on clients, and I offer to skip their face and/or hands. I offer options in ways that might reduce their risk of contamination, and I call clients ahead of time and ask them to re-think coming for their massages if I know they are close to someone who is at an increased risk. If they still come for a massage, then I double up on cleaning and wash my hands and arms twice immediately before touching them. I have my clients wash their hands when they arrive in my office, and I keep everyone else out of my office. I stopped hugging clients and now we just awkwardly stand there agreeing that it's in everyone's best interests to not hug. I do not do house calls. I'm sure there are other adjustments, but those are all I recall as I sit here.

By the way, some of the clients who are still coming for massage are doctors and other healthcare professionals. Perhaps I am wrong, but I infer that they feel that the risk of picking up coronavirus in my practice is currently low.

So this morning I'm seeing my final client in this office. The next few days will be spent moving out. But as I don't yet have a new office confirmed, it's all going into climate-controlled storage for now. With coronavirus spreading, I'm not sure when I will settle into a new office. I will continue working on it in the meantime. And hopefully I will finally get to a grocery store and still be able to find some fresh vegetables, fruit, tofu, eggs, cheese, and so forth. Thankfully I am not in urgent need of toilet paper.

So if you would consider sharing it with me, what changes have you implemented in your massage practices? My email addy is SerenityNancy@gmail.com

Be safe. Breathe. Peace.